Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy With a Hull Question

Hi Guys,
    I just got my First Boat Today.Its an 18.5 Foot 1976 NorCal Hull,Olds 455 with Hardin Marine Hardware and Berkley Jet.I have Looked All Over The Web and It Seems That There Is No Info On a " NorCal " Hull Anywhere.I am familiar with the obvious Tahiti (which is my favorite) Sanger,Eliminator etc But Never have heard of nor seen a NorCal,I have the Ca Registration and Sure as you know what that's what it says It Is.Just Thought Id' Pop In And Ask and learn a few things and possibly make a friend or two.Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by Brushlesswonder; 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM. Reason: spell check
    Have You Ever Noticed Everyone Going Slower Than You Is an Idiot and Everyone Going Faster Than You Is A Maniac ?

Re: New Guy With a Hull Question

Originally posted by Brushlesswonder View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I just got my First Boat Today.Its an 18.5 Foot 1976 NorCal Hull,Olds 455 with Hardin Marine Hardware and Berkley Jet.I have Looked All Over The Web and It Seems That There Is No Info On a " NorCal " Hull Anywhere.I am familiar with the obvious Tahiti (which is my favorite) Sanger,Eliminator etc But Never have heard of nor seen a NorCal,I have the Ca Registration and Sure as you know what that's what it says It Is.Just Thought Id' Pop In And Ask and learn a few things and possibly make a friend or two.Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Trying to make a friend HERE? good luck, were a bunch of dick's!! just kidding i've never heard of one, but back in the day boat builder's were splashing off each other like there was no tomorrow, new boat companies were poping up like taco stand's and closeing just as fast, you can try greg shoemaker at performance boat's he know's about all the small builders of that time

Comment

Also post some pics, & what the hull# starts, & ends with. That can tell you a lot.!!

Comment

Hi Guys Thanks For The Reply I Posted a Couple Pics I apologize if they were too big for the forum.Its My First Boat and Its A Running Project (Wiring and Cosmetics) Maybe I'll get To Take It Out Next Summer.I live exactly 12 Minutes From Collins Lake and 30 from Bullards Bar....

Have You Ever Noticed Everyone Going Slower Than You Is an Idiot and Everyone Going Faster Than You Is A Maniac ?

Comment

The first three letters of the Hull ID number will tell you who the manufacturer was/is. It's possible your boat was made by NorCal Jetster Boats so the first 3 letters will be NJA. I think they went out of business in the late 70's and there aren't too many of those boats around.
          Here's the link to the Coast Guard's Manufacturer's Identification Code page so you can look it up.
          http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx
          Laid Back Boaters Website
          Laid Back Boaters Message Board

Comment

Wow Thanks Cas.You are Correct It Is a NorCal Jetster,They were in Business Only 1 Year from '76-'77 out of North Highlands,CA.I don't know if that's a good or bad thing,Which Means There are no parts or Furniture for it.... It All Has To Be Custom Made or taken from another Hull,It Really Needs an Interior and a windscreen....

Comment

Don't sweat that, there are no parts needed from NorCal Jetster to make your boat into anything you want. Everything you need is readily available.
              Just have to dive in & make a list of things that NEED to be fixed/replaced, and another list of things that COULD be fixed/replaced.

Then you just have to do what you can within your budget. (its never done. lol)

Do you know what it needs.. does it run.? does it float.?
              It looks like a runner, if it runs & floats, i'd say next is a couple of seats.

The season is winding down, so its a perfect time to figure out what it needs & begin your winter project.!!
              Feel free to ask any questions, & i'm sure you'll get an answer or two. (or 7)

PS. you dont need a windscreen. (unless you want one) you just need a wash & maybe a buff, or wetsand. (check out "Botlfedchev" pics)

Before - http://norcaljetboats.com/forums/album.php?albumid=35

After - http://norcaljetboats.com/forums/album.php?albumid=36
              & http://norcaljetboats.com/forums/album.php?albumid=37

Comment

Wow Thanks Cas.You are Correct It Is a NorCal Jetster,They were in Business Only 1 Year from '76-'77 out of North Highlands,CA.I don't know if that's a good or bad thing,Which Means There are no parts or Furniture for it.... It All Has To Be Custom Made or taken from another Hull,It Really Needs an Interior and a windscreen....
                I talked to a guy at Berryessa a few years ago that had white one. He's the one that gave me what little he knew about them along with the name of the maker.
                Chili is right, no need to worry about that company as many bits and pieces are interchangeable. Since you're not in a big hurry, check Craigslist for an interior as they pop up every now and again for pretty decent prices. If you have any skill with wood working tools, the seats are not that difficult to build and then the fiberglass seats aren't all that expensive either.

Comment

good advice from both Cas & Chili, dont count out gone green either, you should se his beauty. looks like a great foundation for a lot of fun! and also, welcome to the Board!
                  1978 21' Tahiti SC 460 Panther Jet

Comment

Thank You For all of your time guys.Yes It Does Float and she sounds really healthy I hooked her up to a hose earlier today and let it run for a few minutes,I do need seats though and carpet i just like the looks of the windscreen,The front seat is out of a small pick up truck LOL But Its a Start,Im not going to attempt to get her wet.Its going in the garage and wont be back out till spring.As far as the paint goes,The guy Rattlecanned it and it looks like Crap,It going to get a cheap single stage or lacquer job until I figure out if I Like it enough to keep it or get a rig with more seats,I have 3 kids and a wife so I need room.Thanks again for your time guys it really is appreciated

.PS. You have a nice rig Chili Hope Mine Can be that nice at some point.....

Comment

As far as the paint goes,The guy Rattlecanned it and it looks like Crap,It going to get a cheap single stage or lacquer job until I figure out if I Like it enough to keep it
                      Just strip the paint off and see what the gel coat underneath looks like. You just might find a real good color scheme plus stripping it will let you know if there were any repairs done to the hull in the past. If the gel sucks, paint away. If it's in good shape, just polish and be done.

Comment

Thank You For all of your time guys.

.PS. You have a nice rig Chili Hope Mine Can be that nice at some point.....
                        You must be lookin at the wrong boat. lol

Nah im just kidding, thanks i like it (if you were talking about my boat), but it is in pieces as i tore it apart to get it going for this season, but it isn't finished yet.
                        It WILL be ready for next season, but it still needs a lot of work.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but i'd get it wet just once before i put it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cas View Post
                          Just strip the paint off and see what the gel coat underneath looks like. You just might find a real good color scheme plus stripping it will let you know if there were any repairs done to the hull in the past. If the gel sucks, paint away. If it's in good shape, just polish and be done.
                          I plan to dig deeper into it but I think It will be easier and cheaper to scuff,prime,shoot color Lay down some artwork and clear it.I am Going with a dark blue and silver to match my Suburban.Id love to take it out but Honestly I dont think It Ready Yet.

Hey Chili It Appears we are in the same "Boat" with our projects (Sorry that was way lame)...Yours looks alot nice than mine,But Give me a couple months with my airbrush and it will be a different looking boat....As far as Interior Goes I am gonna have to build my own Cause There isn't any in it and Hardin Marine Is really Proud of their parts I about fell off the couch when I saw How Much seats and exhaust systems Cost Geez !

Comment

There are lots of us who have an extra this or that for jet boats laying around. Just post what your looking for in the parts needed thread. You will prolly be very suprised at the reasonable price of some of these slightly used pieces, for a fellow boater trying to get his rig on the water!
                            1978 21' Tahiti SC 460 Panther Jet

Comment

Originally posted by 78_Tahiti View Post
                              There are lots of us who have an extra this or that for jet boats laying around. Just post what your looking for in the parts needed thread. You will prolly be very surprised at the reasonable price of some of these slightly used pieces, for a fellow boater trying to get his rig on the water!
                              Thank You Very Much I will Try That Out when I have the $$$ ,The Biggest Part Is The Interior Or Lack There Of and Putting The Fuel Tanks Back In,The Boat Was Run Last Monday out On Bullards Bar With a 5 Gallon Outboard Fuel Tank and It Sucked It Dry Very Quickly.I know the Boat Is water worthy but there is nowhere to sit ha ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                              X