I'm swappin a distributor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm swappin a distributor

#1 check balist restor #2 if it's acting the same as before could very well be timimg chain-to check pull off fuel pump stick your finger in the hole and see how bagee it is- jet boat moters run at higher rpm's than anything else; do you know how old the timimg set is?

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Originally posted by Gone Green View Post
    #1 check balist restor #2 if it's acting the same as before could very well be timimg chain-to check pull off fuel pump stick your finger in the hole and see how bagee it is- jet boat moters run at higher rpm's than anything else; do you know how old the timimg set is?
    ALLSO year's ago i would send my dist back to mallory every winter they charge very littel and it comes back new; you can tell them when you want advance and thell set it up- there in carson-city fast turn around

Comment

I don't know how old it is, but the guy I bought the boat from built this motor a couple years ago and on average had it out maybe 2 to 4 times a year. He built this motor to max at 4200 rpm. And when we took it out sunday, when we got the timing right it ran great, it just wouldn't stay timed up, I'd do a fast pass and slow down and tool around for a bit, then when I'd go to take off again it would run like shit. So I figured that this problem centered around the distributor. What do you think? I'd be alright still switching to an HEI distributor either way right?
      BRODSTER

Comment

yea timing set is probably ok-sounds like coil or point plate maybe moving. may not hurt to try new one; or if you know someone that has one working good try it and see

Comment

yea timing set is probably ok-sounds like coil or point plate maybe moving. may not hurt to try new one; or if you know someone that has one working good try it and see
          I got a new coil, you were right that went bad, we're sure now that it's either the springs under the plate, or the plate like you said. Thanks for stickin this out with me. I'm excited to install an HEI! Get on with life in the easier motor work lane lol!
          BRODSTER

Comment

now rember when you get your new one there set up for cars read the info sheet and find out at want rpm the newone totals out at you want all your timing at preferable 2500 this helps the boat plane faster you may need to change springs good luck

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

now rember when you get your new one there set up for cars read the info sheet and find out at want rpm the newone totals out at you want all your timing at preferable 2500 this helps the boat plane faster you may need to change springs good luck
            allso with pump gas no more than 38 degrees time it to the total like i tould you befor and youll love it

Comment

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

allso with pump gas no more than 38 degrees time it to the total like i tould you befor and youll love it
              Ya lost me on the degree of timing? I don't remember what part that was again? Can I get a quick recap on that process?
              BRODSTER

Comment

Depending on how your distributor is configured internally it has timing advance built in or its programmable , once you get the distributor installed and the engine able to start you'll want to set total timing somewhere around 36 * total as said . You would do this by observing the timing with a good strobe on the timing marks if your timing marks dont read to say 36* (or more) you'll have to mark your vibration dampner or timing tab to allow you to do this. If you dont have timing tape currently use can use a tape measure and create marks at 90*, then 45* then 22.5 etc (use the diameter of the dampner devided accordingly) Then start the engione run it up to 2500 rpm and set total timing at 36* advanced according to the marks you created Now that I've completley confused you call me Tom 805 466 4719

Comment

Hmm, made sense to me Tom!
                  1978 21' Tahiti SC 460 Panther Jet

Comment

thats how we do it
                    Sex - Hot Boats - RockinRoll = (Living the life )

Comment

Working...
                    X