Torque vs Horsepower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Torque vs Horsepower

wow 1100 pounds, man you would need some kind of serious hydrofoil kind of hull to get it off the water to get speed out of it I would think. as a comparison, an iron head 460 weighs in at around 700 pounds.
    1978 21' Tahiti SC 460 Panther Jet

Comment

A all steel BBC weighs 750. So it would be like an extra two people in the boat. But the extra power shouldn't have a problem with that. The trick would be to overdrive the pump. Put a v drive gear set on the pump shaft, or a gear vendors over drive in it. The more load you put on it the more power it will make.

Comment

Wonder what kind of hole-shot you would get? I don't know squat about diesel but seems to me you would loose every time in the lites! Doesn't seem like it would be ideal for the 1/4 mile. It would be great for hauling a huge ice chest though!!
        Ever wonder why boogers only smell after you pick em?

Comment

Why is I keep getting the feeling a dodge commercial is going to start palying?

Comment

Originally posted by bwurst1 View Post
            Wonder what kind of hole-shot you would get? I don't know squat about diesel but seems to me you would loose every time in the lites! Doesn't seem like it would be ideal for the 1/4 mile. It would be great for hauling a huge ice chest though!!
            You would need to spool up the turbo at the line, It's easy in a truck because you just power brake it. A boat would need a trans brake type device. If you figured that out it could potentialy launch with 2000 lb ft of torque. Otherwise it takes a second for the turbo to spool

Comment

You could just use a driveshaft brake, I saw one that used a brake rotor & caliper as opposed to the old drum type units in days gone by. sure be interesting to play with if ya had all the bits & pieces laying around. I saw a beefed up Ford F250 4X4 a few weeks ago, d00d did a 4 wheel burnout for about 50 yards spinning 40" off road tires!

Comment

That would work!

Comment

Torque is the power that gets you moving if you look at great race motors they are high in the torque curve from the start and as the HP comes up and moves towards its peak the torque fades cause you dont need as much TQ while your gaining top speed you need the HP to carry that out on your top end. That said a motor with alot of torque at the right RPM will be great out of the hole and be fun no matter how much HP it has. A Honda car can be fast top end and have good HP but it most likely wont have the torque and can take a while to get up to speed to feel the benefit of its HP.

Comment

Working...
                  X