454 Blue Boats RePower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 Blue Boats RePower

Scott's Carrera, melted a piston about a year ago. So he looked at his options, and I think we came up with a nice solution. I assembled a little milder engine then he had been running. The last engine was an 11.5 to 1 (at least) 454, that ran really strong. In an effort to give this engine a little longer life span, We are using some different components. Base engine is a 89 4 bolt 454, that has maybe 5000 miles on a bottom end rebuild. we have a .020" overbore 454. stock crank (.010 x .010) I Beam rods with ARP Bolts. I used 3/4 groove main bearings, clevite 77 rod bearings. The rotating assembly all showed signs of recent balance work, So I had the machinist polish the crank, for just a little more oil clearance (.0029" instead of .0025") Went with a pair of 1968 closed chamber big oval port heads (063's) 101 cc. the deck height was off .004" from left side to ride side of the block, so had 1 head surfaced .004" to bring it square. We are running a Crane Cam and springs, sig erson roller rockers, ARP Main and Head Bolts, and a trick modified windage tray and oil pan combo of an offshore boat (14 qts.) Scotts old tunnel ram and 660 holley's. Heres a couple pics.

Then I went ahead and checked the timing real quick. Sounds ready to rock!
    1978 21' Tahiti SC 460 Panther Jet

Re: 454 Blue Boats RePower

Looks good Steve. Good job.

Comment

Sounds good.!!
      I saw it this weekend at CFW, but didn't hear/see it run.

Nice job Smac & Scott.

Comment

Well? Howd it do?
        Ever wonder why boogers only smell after you pick em?

Comment

Originally posted by bwurst1 View Post
          Well? Howd it do?

we only drove it up to 4,000. rpm and twice got it to 5,600. rpm she runs great and for the three days of running only 20 gal. of gas and running most of of time through out the days of being there

Sex - Hot Boats - RockinRoll = (Living the life )

Comment

Working...
          X